Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snowfall 2-6-10

Well, it hit us again. Third time in a month and we were blessed with over 24" of snow!! What I love about these situations it is that they bring out the best and worst in people.

At the grocery & hardware stores it brought out the worst in people. It was on the news that men were fist fighting over the last snow shovels and women were fighting over packages of hamburger.

But, in my neighborhood it brought out the BEST in everyone. I love living in our court. Our neighbors are so helpful and friendly. After a snow storm we all gather outside and help each other dig out, people with snow blowers help clear parking areas and the kids get on sleds or make snow angels. (Me too!) It's been a nice experience in that regard, at least.

We just found out on the news that Dulles Airport registered 34.1" and that makes it the WORST snow storm in recorded history (for Dulles). And the story goes for most of our area.

Here are some of the images from yesterday's storm and today's clean up efforts that I wanted to share.

Photobucket
We were afraid of losing our pear tree the branches were so heavy with snow.

Photobucket
Looking out of our back deck door.

Photobucket
Our patio table looks like a huge cream puff!

Photobucket
Johnny went out with a yard stick.

Photobucket
We measured 18" on the table but the house shielded some fall so it wasn't accurate.

Photobucket
THIS was accurate! Out in the yard. Some areas had 30".

Photobucket
We had lots and lots and looooooots of work ahead of us. Johnny always says "Together we can do anything." And he's right.

Photobucket
Here we go.....

Photobucket
It was an amazing sight ~ Awesome & beautiful.

Photobucket
Johnny wanted to take another reading on the porch.

Photobucket
This one registered 26".

Photobucket
It was hard to know where to begin and where to put all of that snow!

It was slow, heavy work. I figure a few more snow storms & I might find my waist again!

Photobucket
The cars looked like huge marshmallows, they made me hungry  :o)

Photobucket
A complete white out.

Photobucket
This is Mama Kay's house on the (R) end unit. See that huge snow mountain?

Photobucket
(Here's a better view of it from today) The snow plows blocked them completely in! Or....I should say OUT! They are in Florida and boy will they be surprised when they come home to find this little prezzie at the end of their driveway.

Photobucket
Well, before anyone else staked a claim to the mountain, Johnny wanted to be sure to do it.

Photobucket
He climbed to the very tip top...

Photobucket
.....and staked our claim for the U.S. Navy ~ GO NAVY!

Photobucket
Yes, Baby! YOU DA MAN!!

Photobucket
And I'm the lady in the red pajama bottoms. What? I couldn't be left out!

Photobucket
There is a peace that settles onto the earth after a snowfall that is simply indescribable.

Photobucket
Today, 2-7-10, we ventured out to rescue Josh who'd been stuck at Rodge's house since Friday.

Photobucket
Right behind our house some trees were down. Might be why we lost power last night for six hrs.

Photobucket
We lost power at about 9:30 p.m. until 3:41 a.m. I know this because I was awake. I was terrified of freezing to death and being found sometime in March as a Brencicle. I know, a bit melodramatic, but still....a scary thought, right?

Photobucket
We rescued Joshie and his car and came across a plow stuck on the side of the road in a ditch.

Once we got home we had to widen the driveway so we could get Josh's car pulled  in.

Watch your back, Josh! Rodge looks a little homicidal!

Awww, I love these boys. They have shoveled so much snow in the past few days, I know they are exhausted. Josh is already falling alseep. Just a teensy bit more, boys. I really, really appreciate you two!!

Moooom! What's for supper?

I made my boys a beef minestrone soup. A family favorite.

With crispy cheese bread, yum!

Do you wonder what my girls were doing while all of this "family fun" was going on?

Their lazy butts were on their hot pad. These stinkers never pull their weight around here!

Lookie what my Josh left me in the snow by my front door  :o)

Photobucket

We WILL keep smiles on our faces and get through this icy storm like we've gotten through everything else....TOGETHER!  I'm just thrilled that we'll do it with electricity!! Ya-hoo!!

Guess what? 5 more inches of snow coming on Tuesday. Is the fun lamp lit yet? I'm soooooo buying a snow blower. Trust me on that one.
Photobucket

No comments: