Thursday, April 22, 2010


On Tuesday my Navy Wives coffee group had our monthly get together. My Mama Kay and I were in charge of planning the outing and it was so much fun! We attended Historic Garden Week in Virginia, we plan this outing every year; scouting out the homes first, coming up with a driving plan, finding a place nearby where we can all go to lunch...then eating there...(because of course we need to make sure the food is edible for our coffee group! Tee-hee)

This year there were five featured homes in Arlington.

Photobucket
We weren't allowed to take photographs inside the homes for security reasons. This was my favorite back yard. I was at peace here and wanted to move right in. I could be the NANNY as long as the kids always wanted to play outside. That would be my rule.

Photobucket
This home had a cute little garden house to match the main house. Darling!

Photobucket
It even had window boxes. So sweet.

Photobucket
And a bench for Nanny Brenda.

Photobucket
Another bench for Nanny Brenda to read on when the kids are napping. Sorry, the sun was so bright, but that's a beautiful sand dollar stepping stone. I want one.

Photobucket
And a fountain for Nanny Brenda to make wishes in.  Aaahhh, this garden was so peaceful and shady. I may sneak back over some day when the owners are at work. I have lots of reading to catch up on. I'm sure they won't mind.

Photobucket
Another home did something very unique with their entry way. They used vegetables to accent their plants! Do you see? I spy....asparagus, a head of garlic, an eggplant, cabbage, radish, bell peppers....

I'm sure that this is the most popular home on the neighborhood for the squirrels and birds. "Party at the Jonses in T-minus 4 minutes. She's putting the poo-poo platters out now!"

Photobucket
Onions....more radishes.....broccoli.....seriously, I may have to pop by there myself the next time I'm in the mood for a yummy salad.

Photobucket
I'm not much for turnips though, the birds can have them. But I'll definitely score us some asparagus for supper. Blog entries cannot be used in a court of law as evidence....right?

Photobucket
A creative idea ~ the family had just returned from a Spring Break vacation to the beach and used all of the shells they collected as decoration on their back deck. It was cute. And yes, those are 3 white asparagus' in the plant. They are sooo lucky I didn't have the munchies.

Photobucket
More asparagus....that's it. Now every plant in my house needs asparagus. I'm all inspired now.

And speaking of WANT  --------->

Photobucket
I want Want WANT one of these. Yes, please. Thank you in advance. It's a "lap pool" with a hot tub. When you turn the pool on it will create a powerful current so that you can swim laps, but you never move forward. You can swim in one place for 30 mins if you want without having to turn around.

OK, maybe this concept is just new to me, but I said "Wow" way too many times to the hostess. She may have thought that I live under a rock.

At least I didn't have asparagus in my teeth.

Photobucket
When you're done swimming laps, (notice I said when YOU'RE done, because my butt would be watching you in the hot tub), you can move up to the house and relax in the outdoor furniture on this deck, complete with a bar and twinkle lights on the ceiling. I'm a sucker for twinkle lights. I'm a sucker for this outdoor furniture.

Photobucket
The last home on the tour was cute inside, very old fashioned with no updates, but then they built an add-on that was completely modern, even in its interior decor. Talk about stark contrasts.

My favorite part was the back yard with paths that lead to a creek below. The greenery, the full, shady trees, seating areas, flowering bushes, etc. was so welcoming and I really didn't want to leave the yard.

Perhaps after I'm done reading by my fish fountain at the first Nanny home I can swing by these folks' and have a mojito by the creek. Anyone in?

Photobucket

We had a delicious lunch at Pulcinella in McLean, close to where Johnny works so I'm going to take him back there for a nice dinner sometime in the near future.

And did I mention that the weather was PERFECT? It was! The next day it rained all day long so we lucked out.

I can't wait until next year when Mama Kay and I (she's in the light blueish jacket, blonde hair on the right of the pic) plan another home and garden tour. We're hoping to get out to the Middleburg area where all of big farm houses are that have horses roaming the property. It's surreal. Fingers crossed!!!

Great fun, ladies! As always, I love spending time with girlfriends. It means the world to me.   xoxoxoxo

Photobucket

No comments: