Sunday, December 5, 2010

Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah
To all of our dear Jewish friends!
 
"Put on your yalmulka, here comes Hanukkah

Its so much fun-akkah to celebrate Hanukkah,

Hanukkah is the festival of lights,

Instead of one day of presents, we have eight crazy nights...."

(Quick - name that song!) Oh man, gotta love Adam Sandler, right?


We're not Jewish, but one of Johnny's Naval Academy classmates and his wife, who just returned to our area from a tour in San Diego, are Jewish and they invited us over to their home to be part of their family's festivities on Saturday night to celebrate Hanukkah.


Felicia is the most amazing cook. She's over there shredding about a thousand potatoes and onions to make home made latkes. They were served with apple sauce and sour cream. I wish I could do a scratch-n-sniff blog because you'd just fall over the aroma was so awesome. She mixes in some sweet potato, yum!


The house was so festive!


I don't know if I was supposed to or not, but I kept walking around eating up those cute little coins that were all over the place...I couldn't help myself. They were Bavarian chocolate! Sorry.


Blurry...but you can see that Felicia really knows how to set up a party. This was just the hors d'oevres section.


Sweets. Come to Mama.


Yes, she did all this herself. No ordering out.


Johnny hit the coffee bar. There was tea and hot cocoa too  ;o)


Stuffed cabbage leaves (meatloaf filling), beef brisket...


Garlic green beans and my favorite NOODLE KUGEL!

Can I just say that I've had Felicia's noodle kugel before and loved it so much that last year at Hanukkah (even though we're not even Jewish!) I made my own Kugel to celebrate and can I also just say....It Sucked. Big Time. Oh. Yes. It. Did. Johnny & Josh wouldn't even eat it and that's saying a lot. I mean, Johnny used to live on a Navy ship and can eat anything but wouldn't eat my kugel. My son loves Military MRE's and wouldn't touch my kugel. That's telling you how horrible it was. Boo-hoo.

So I was so {{{happy}}} to get Felicia's Kugel last night. The End.

Of course, who could forget? The best soup of all?....


Matzah ball soup! Mazel tov!



Blurry again, sorry. I had to have my Fstop so low just to get enough light in my camera. Oh well.

If that plate looks like it belongs to a piggy then it's Johnny's....however if it looks like it belongs to someone who is truly enjoying being at a Hanukkah party and wants to partake fully in the experience with no reserve and just enjoy life (Le Chaim!) then it's mine. You decide.


The joyful guardian of the menorah.


This is me and my new friend Kim. We are both part of the Army wives club - I'm a Navy wife and she's an Air Force wife, haha. Go figure.


After dinner the kids came over and lit the candles (day 5) and sang the traditional songs and said prayers in Hebrew. It was so beautiful. We felt honored to be included in their special night.


Hungry Gentile 1 and Hungry Gentile 2.

Hey, we can throw down that Matzah ball soup & red wine just like the next guy so we fit in just fine.

It was a fun evening, Felicia really out did herself. And I'm so glad they're back in town so I have another Navy wife buddy to hang with!

Happy Hanukkah!
Le Cheim! To life!


Photobucket

No comments: