Sunday, December 12, 2010

Josh leaves for boot camp!

Ft. Benning's Facebook status this morning:  "Just a few more days until Christmas Exodus, who's excited out there? Get those decorations up and the refridgerator full, your Soldiers will be home soon soon!"

Can I just say, I haven't been this excited for a Christmas in a looooong time. I'm counting down the seconds til my boy steps off that Greyhound bus - thanks for putting up with me friends! I'm just so {{{excited}}} my insides are buzzing.


Well, Josh has almost made it through the first half of his 14 week training. Another half to go. I'm not sure if it will be easier or harder to put him back on that bus headed back to Ft. Benning compared to the fist time.


I'm ready to share that experience with you all now........up until today it was something I held close to my heart and couldn't really write about just yet.


I'll never forget that day, as long as I live. The drive up to Ft. Meade (where Josh shipped to boot camp) seemed to take forever! It was really only an hour, but still.


Aaah, the MEPS building ~ Josh had been up here several times for over-nighter's for both the Marine Corps and the Army for his in-processing. (Long story, but it's all in the blog if you want to go back to the beginning, ha!)


There's my boy on the left in, naturally, his Gold's gym t-shirt. After shuffling everyone around a bunch to make sure all of the parents could squeeze in to get the best shot of our kid, we got to be present to the most important part of our children's military careers.


Their swearing in ceremony.


(VIDEO)
There are no words to describe how proud we were of him at this very moment so I won't even try. I will let the video speak for itself.


Afterward the kids stood "at ease" and received instruction from the Army Captain that just swore them in. He gave them good advice and I couldn't help but notice that my son was actually taking it all to heart.


Next....more important issues needed to be dealt with.....CHOW! The kids were given a 6 inch sub, some chips and a soda which Josh had swallowed in about 3.5 mouthfulls then proceeded to raid John's wallet for vending machine money. The young lady next to him with pink sleeves was going into the Air Force. We got to know her family a little bit while we watched the kids eat.


My two favorite men 

Then MY favorite part ~ ha! ~ all of us parental units got to torture our spawn one last time with a photo op. Everyone handed off their cameras and we got to go up to the podium where they had just done their swearing in and mess around a bit.


Josh, thrilled to death, to recieve kisses from his Mama.


♥ My two favorite men having a good heart to heart


 Then we had an hour of "fun family time" while waiting for Josh's Captain to call them back for a boot camp (travel) briefing.


But we made good use of our time  :o)


And I was in no hurry.


The hour flew, the briefing came and went....


And suddenly we were told to line up; the kids would be shipping soon. We got our posters out of the car and put our screaming voices on....my heart was in my throat.
 

(VIDEO)
After nearly a year of talking about & waiting for this moment, it was over in a flash.

I LOVE YOU! I'll miss you!


And with that the kids were on the bus getting ready to head for the airport to start their 14-wk training at Ft. Benning.


"Our boy's in the Army now!"

Yes. I. Did. Hey, the other Mom's were doing it....and he doesn't look like he's going to kill me so I'm good-to-go!
 
Bye Joooooooosh!!!!
 

I'll write to you every day!!

And with that....POOF. He was gone.

I just stood there in front of the building.
Numb. Proud. Crying. Numb. Proud. Stunned. Shocked. Proud. Crying.

Then I felt Johnny's arms around me. And he whispered, "Let's go get a Mojito at Mike's."

Gosh, I love that man. He knows just want to say to me when I'm down.

And off we went to Mikes. It was the best Mojito ever.
We toasted our boy's bright new future 

Photobucket

No comments: