Saturday, December 11, 2010

Writing my son every day....

This is the site at my front door every day. My "outgoing" mail basket. It's been hanging there empty for years now because we do all of our bills online and I was recently wondering why I still had it on my front door......Until Josh left for boot camp.


Now it's the Josh Basket. I write my boy a letter every single day and stick it in a light blue envelope with snowmen on it. Why? Because they were the ones on sale so I bought 100 of them! That's why. Aaaannnnddd....so when he gets mail he'll know "Oh, there's another one from Mama."

The corners of the envelope and label are colored RED (for his specific platoon, making it easier for the mail sorters) and so that, in Josh's words "I get my mail faster!!" and off they go. Every day. I'm sure I've bored the snot out of him by now. I put everything and anything I can find in it. Facebook funnies, internet articles, entertainment happenings, Ft. Benning news (from their site) pictures, pictures and more pictures, jokes....the poor kid.

In a recent letter from Josh he wrote, "I stayed up 2 hours past lights out so that I could read all of my mail." Let me tell you something, one day to them is like 4-5 days to us and "mail call" is the most exciting part of their day, I've since learned. Chow & mail, those two become their existence.

All I know is that my OUT box is always full. And that's all that's important; that my son knows that each and every day that I'm thinking of him. That's why it's been hard for me to update my blog and I'm sorry about that, but when I come home all I want to do is make sure that my basket has something in it that Johnny can drop in mailbox every morning on his way to work that will be headed to Ft. Benning.

Josh is out there, lately in the bitter, icy cold, training hard, working tirelessly, getting up early, going to bed late, having good days and having bad days. But at the end of his long days I'm hoping & praying that there is a light blue snowman envelope with painted red corners sitting on his bunk that says LOUD AND CLEAR (even if it's filled with a bunch of junk and boring stories!) that he is loved and cherished and thought of every day. And that the place he occupies in my heart will never waiver.

At the end of MY day that is the only thing that matters to me.

SIX days until he steps off that Greyhound bus and I'm counting down the seconds!!! I'm sure I'll have tons to share on the blog when he gets home. I can't wait to show you a recent pic - he said he's lost 19 pounds. I'm going to fatten him up the 2 weeks that I have him. Maybe I'll pop the tires of the bus taking him back to Ft. Benning after the new year, ha. Juuuuuuuuuust kidding.

Sort of.

Sorry, Blog, for taking a back seat to my son! But that's how I roll    :o)


Photobucket

No comments: