Sunday, August 15, 2010

The D.C. Duck Tour!

Today we were very excited to go into D.C. again.

Photobucket
 
We had tickets to ride the D.C. Duck!

Photobucket
 
Tours leave from Union Station, a beautiful, old, historical building full of....

Photobucket
 
SHOPPING!!
 
Oh yeah, and some places to eat and....I almost forgot....trains. Yawn.

Photobucket
 
And I will regret it for the rest of my days on this earth.
 
I really, really will.

Crap. Now I have to go back. I have to have those shoes. Johnny said to get them (he liked them too, wink), but nooooo, I was "trying to be good." Good is overrated! I'm through being good. I mean. Look at those shoes.....drooool.

Thanks for listening.
 
Breathe. Alright, I'll try to press on to the reason we actually went to Union Station in the first place.

Photobucket

This is the D.C. Duck ~ A real Army amphibious vehicle called the DUK-W that was used in WWII. 
It's oooooooold.

Translation: It drives on the streets then you can dump it in the water and it floats!

Photobucket

All Madison really wanted to do was be dumped into the Potomac River, but we had to do the "D.C. City Tour" first. Booooring. But that's ok. She was patient and basically counted all of the weird ice cream trucks on the streets and waved to our reflection on every office window. Good times.


Photobucket

This was Captain Britain and he was hilarious. Honest to God. That's his name. There. Now you know.

He got us up to TOP D.C. DUCK SPEED on the George Washington Pkwy...38 mph....and all I heard next to me was:

Photobucket


"WHEEEEEE!!!! LOOK MA!!! NO HANDS!!!"  That's my girl.

Photobucket

Finally, the point in the tour that Madison was amped up for; our ramp into the Potomac River. The Pentagon is at the top left of the photo. But first we had to wait for these jokers to get out of our way. Beep! QUACK! Beep! Duckie coming through!


Photobucket


Madison watched very, very carefully how Captain Britain navigated our Duckie into the water, she was a little bit nervous; made sure she knew where her life vest was....


Photobucket

SUCCESS! Look Aunt Brenda! We're in!


Photobucket
 
Uncle Johnny pointing out The Pentagon ~ Madison was excited to see it.
 

When she first got here she said, "Aunt Brenda, I can't wait to see The Pentagon. I want to hold your hand and skip all the way around it!"  I figured a boat ride was more fun for her. And me.

Photobucket

We snapped this pic of Maddie & The Pentagon on my cell phone to send to her Mommy, Daddy & John.

Photobucket

It got really windy out on the water, but Madison LOVED it.


Photobucket
 
On our drive back to Union Station we swung by the U.S. Capitol.

Photobucket
 
   So pretty   

Photobucket


At one point in the trip Captain Britain stopped us so we could watch some planes land at Reagan National Airport directly above our heads, it was LOUD! Madison wanted to stay put right there. We may have to go back and watch some more landings. With ear plugs.

Photobucket

Somewhat blurry....but the only quick-drive-by pic of Maddie and the Capitol, haha.


Photobucket


How do I put this without being vulgar and obscene? Ok....THIS might have been one of the most horrible moments of my life to this point....during the last 10 minutes of the D.C. Duck tour, the hilarious Captain Britain gave us all "duck whistles." Let me just say:

You stupid #@!!?&%@###!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, that's right. You heard me. Rarely do I curse, especially on my blog. But, Captain Britain, you are not my favorite person right now. I would love to fill your car with sauerkraut on a 108* day....

He gave a family with 7 children, plus all the rest of us with our 2.3 kids a QUACKING, SQUEAKING, loud, obnoxious, duck call thingy. And, naturally, the kids all thought it would be AWESOME if they filled the rest of the tour with the sound of gentle woodland creatures. ON CRACK!  (Or shall I say...ON QUACK, hahahaha!) Sorry.

Johnny and I came home with headaches and Madison came home with.....a quacking, squeaking, loud, obnoxious, duck call thingy that is hiding in my MY room with threats within an inch of her LIFE if she ever touches it again. Or at least until I send it home with her in her suitcase to "show her Mommy." Hee-hee, I can't wait!

Photobucket

No comments: